An overseas limited partnership may apply to the Registrar to change its name.
Information you'll need to provide
To change the name of an overseas limited partnership you'll need to provide evidence of the name change in your home country.
Things you should know before you apply
The name of a limited partnership must include the words 'Limited Partnership' or the abbreviation 'LP' or 'L.P.' at the end of the name.
We won't register a limited partnership with a name:
- the use of which would contravene an enactment
- that is identical to, or almost identical to, the name of a company registered under the Companies Act 1993, or another limited partnership, or an overseas limited partnership registered under this Act
- that, in our opinion, is offensive.
Before you apply to change the name, we strongly recommend that you conduct a free search to ensure that your chosen name is not identical or almost identical to the name of a company, limited partnership or overseas limited partnership that already exists on the register. This will avoid delays in changing your limited partnership name.Search for companies Search for a limited partnership (NZ)
Authority to change the name
To change the name of an overseas limited partnership, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Limited Partnerships Registers
- confirmed your authority to manage information on behalf of the overseas limited partnership.
How to change the name of an overseas limited partnership
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, select the overseas limited partnership you wish to update from your 'My Businesses' list.
- On the 'General Details' tab, click the 'Change Name' button.
- Enter the proposed new name and to check if the name is available to use, click 'Name Availability Check' .
- Upload evidence of the name change in your home jurisdiction.
- Complete the details required for Signatory and select 'Submit'.
What happens next?
A change of name of an overseas limited partnership takes effect from the date we update the register. At that time we'll issue a new Certificate of Registration, confirming that the overseas limited partnership details have been updated on the Register.
The change of name doesn't affect rights or liabilities of the overseas limited partnership, and doesn't affect legal proceedings by or against the overseas limited partnership. Legal proceedings begun or continued against the overseas limited partnership under its former name may be begun or continued against it under its new name.