About limited partnerships
- What a limited partnership is The definition and key features of limited partnerships.
- General partners Who can and can't be a general partner in a limited partnership, and what they're liable for.
- Limited partners Who can be a limited partner in a limited partnership, and what they're liable for.
- Powers of the Registrar Find out what actions the Registrar can take to ensure a limited partnership is legitimate.
- General partner, promoter and manager prohibition What prohibition is and when it might be applied to a general partner of a limited partnership
- Making a complaint about a general partner How to report possible mismanagement or illegal activity relating to a limited partnership
Other help topics
Getting started on the register
About limited partnerships, the roles and responsibilities of general and limited partners, and how to set up your online services account.
Searching the Limited Partnerships Registers
Find out how to search the registers for information about New Zealand and overseas limited partnerships, and their current status.
Registering a limited partnership
To register a limited partnership you must complete the application process and pay the registration fee.
Keeping limited partnership details up to date
Once you've registered your limited partnership, you'll need to maintain the registration by filing annual returns and keeping partnership name, partner and address details up to date.
Deregistering a limited partnership
If a limited partnership is terminated, or you ask for it to be deregistered, you must notify us so it can be removed from the register. The Registrar can also choose to deregister limited partnerships.
Restoring a limited partnership
You can apply to the Registrar to have your limited partnership restored to the register. You'll need to provide evidence to support your application.
Forms and fees for limited partnerships (NZ)
Forms you'll need to register your limited partnership or keep details up to date, and a schedule of fees payable.
Managing your online account
Your online services account allows you to update and manage personal and organisation information from your online dashboard.
Overseas limited partnerships
Overseas limited partnerships must apply to register within 10 working days of commencing business in New Zealand, and must meet annual filing requirements to remain registered.
- About overseas limited partnerships
- About general partners
- Registering an overseas limited partnership
- Filing annual returns
- Changing partner details
- Changing an address of an overseas limited partnership
- Changing the name of an overseas limited partnership
- Ceasing business in New Zealand
- Forms for overseas limited partnerships