A limited partnership may apply to the Registrar to change its name.
Things you should know before you apply
The name of a limited partnership must include the words 'Limited Partnership' or the abbreviation 'LP' or 'L.P.' at the end of the name.
We won't register a limited partnership with a name:
- the use of which would contravene an enactment
- that is identical to, or almost identical to, the name of a company registered under the Companies Act 1993, or another limited partnership, or an overseas limited partnership registered under this Act
- that, in our opinion, is offensive.
Before you apply to change the name, we strongly recommend that you conduct a free search to ensure that your chosen name is not identical or almost identical to the name of a company, limited partnership or overseas limited partnership that already exists on the register. This will avoid delays in changing your limited partnership name.Search for a company Search for a limited partnership (NZ)
Authority to change a limited partnership's name
To change the name of a limited partnership, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Limited Partnerships Registers
- confirmed your authority to manage information on behalf of the limited partnership.
How to change the name of a limited partnership
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, select the limited partnership you wish to update from your 'My Businesses' list.
- On the 'General Details' tab, click the 'Change Name' button.
- Enter the proposed new name and to check if the name is in use, click 'Name Availability Check' .
- If you have documentation to support your application, click 'Upload' to attach document. Please note, the document will not be available for public view.
- Click on 'Submit'.
What happens next
Reviewing your application may take us up to 3 working days.
A change in the name of a limited partnership takes effect from the date we update the register. At that time we'll issue a new Certificate of Registration, confirming that the limited partnership details have been updated.
The change of name doesn't affect rights or liabilities of the limited partnership, and doesn't affect legal proceedings by, or against, the limited partnership. Legal proceedings begun or continued against the limited partnership under its former name may be started or continued against it under its new name.